Monday, January 30, 2017

Punch #4: Whiskey

For February, I am going to be doing some tremendously basic and simple punches, and altering only the acids I use to see if I can make punches out of citric/succinic/phosphate acid solutions instead of citrus. So, for my final punch of January I decided to try out an ingredient I haven't used before: coconut sugar.

I first made an oleo-saccrum out of oranges and lemon peels and coconut sugar. (2 oranges and 2 lemons and 4oz coconut sugar). It ended up not being very sweet, so I decided to add some orange curacao and make a "whiskey sour"

My recipe was:

2 cups black tea
1.5 cups Wild Turkey 101
2oz Meyer Lemon Infusion (110 proof vodka + meyer lemon peels, infused for 5 days & strained)
2oz Pierre Ferrand Orange Curacao
4oz Orange/Lemon Coconut Sugar Oleo
4oz Lemon

This was mostly for the process, so here's some photos!



The base. Look how dark that ended up.




Immediately after adding the base, it curdled impressively.




Straining...





The final result was nice and clean! The specs in that picture are nutmeg, not particulate. The coconut sugar wasn't as noticable as I hoped; perhaps next time I use it I'll try for a less impactful base spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment