Friday, January 13, 2017

Punch #2: Tea Rum Port Punch



This week I’m continuing my simple proof-of-concept punches and adding some ingredients I haven’t played with much: port and flavored teas.


For Christmas, I got my loving wife some tasty teas from a few different shops in town. I particularly like blends from a spot called “Lemonlilly” near Dupont Station. I decided to use that and some port to make an interesting punch.


Here’s the recipe:


2 cups Lemonlilly Chocolate-Chai Tea
1.5 cups Havana Club Anejo Reserva
.5 Cups Taylor Fladgate Late Bottled Vintage Port 2011
3oz Overproof Rhum agricole from Guadaloupe (I wanted to bring the proof back up and add some bite to it; use Wray & Nephew if you don't have, y'know, random bottles of rhum agricole you want to use up)
8d angostura bitters (since I’m not doing a pre-infusion of spices, I wanted some allspice warmth)
4oz (by weight) Lemon Oleo-saccrum
3.5oz Orange Juice
.5oz Lime juice
1 cup milk


And here’s some photos of the process:


Here's the assembled punch base. Notice the nice dark red color.




Right after adding the punch base to the milk. Looks delicious and not at all like chunky barf, huh?








The final product! It turned out pretty well, but honestly way too easy to drink. Tremendously smooth  and lacking a bit in character. I'm going to change up the recipe a bit for next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment